This delicious sweet and sour rice dish is served best with joojeh (chicken) kabob or koobideh (ground beef) kabob. The unique flavor of tart cherries with crunchy nuts makes it one of my f avorites. Enjoy!
- 5 c. cooked basmati rice
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 c. fresh sour cherries, pitted**
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 c. slivered almonds
- 1/2 tsp. saffron
- salt, to taste
** in place of fresh sour cherries, you can use Sadaf sour cherries in light syrup. Just drain the syrup and reduce the amount of sugar to 5 Tbsp.
1. Toast the almonds in a dry skillet on medium heat, stirring to prevent burning. Once brown, immediately remove almonds to a bowl.
2. Dissolve the saffron in 1 tablespoon of hot water. Add to cooked basmati rice and season with salt.
3. In a small skillet on medium heat, melt the butter with the sour cherries, sugar, and water stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved and cherries soften.
4. Combine the sour cherry mixture with the saffron basmati rice, stir together gently. Spoon onto serving dish and garnish with a few toasted almond slivers and sour cherries.